Friday, December 11, 2009

Fifth Post.

I woke up today. I went through my day. I accomplished a lot, messed up a lot, big ones and small ones under both categories. Should I be disappointed or proud?

"Just because I feel strongly about something does not mean I'm a geek".

I don't usually watch documentaries; they aren't my cup of tea mostly because  sometimes, I'm just too lazy to learn. I'm not afraid to say that out loud, but rather, I'm ashamed of the fact. My dirty stereotypical teenage fact. None of the cool jocks ever watched documentaries in their free time, or else they'd be bunched with the geeks. 

Geeks.

I was never ashamed of the fact, but rather, I'm afraid to say it out loud; I wish I could be one.

There are a lot of things I support in life, some a little more and some a little less than others. I watched "The 11th Hour" for an extra-curricular class today. A movie about global warming. Skip the following paragraph if you don't want to bored with the rundown of what global warming is.

It's going to kill us. 

Now some may say, it's bound to happen eventually. Which it is. But why live life with such a ridiculously stupid ideology. You know, it sucks. It sucks really bad. We know that we're doing things wrong and we wish so bad that we could change things. But you know what's stopping us besides our own little excuses and the fact that we don't have enough willpower to give up all of our "earthly belongings" and become "one with Mother Nature" again?

Society.

I'm not a scientist. I'm not an expert. I'm a teenager. But, I have dreams.

As we grow up, we're trained to realize that the world is a dog-eat-dog type of place, where "Survival of the Fittest" is a theory that no longer happens in nature but only in board meetings and the streets. Why does it need to be like that? We grow up learning that if we don't wear the nicest clothes, or look the very best, we're not going to have as many opportunities as we should. We grow up learning that if you work hard enough, you can gain a really good income and live a good life. The part our parents missed is the fact that gaining a really good income to have a good life has the same relation as swimming in the Pacific Ocean to become a world-class contemporary paint artist; there really is no relation.

We're trained to think without money, there is no hope. Except hope was never something that could be bought. 

I thought about it for a really long time and I want to start something. I've always wanted to start something, as everybody else does; start a something to makes you turn in to more than a somebody. I want to start a campaign. What happens in this campaign? I want everyone to dress and only buy clothes that are cheap. Comfortable, cheap clothes. When you're going to school, wear sweats. Cheap, $5 white tees. Try not putting on any makeup. Crazy sounding? Start slow, take away the eye shadow first, then the blush, then the foundation. What I'm pretty much asking for you to do, is to look stank.

Why. Why why why why why. Let's think. When something out there is expensive, more or less, aside from the tiny few, most of the bucks is being spent because of the brand. Northface, for instance. True Religion. Sure, they both look good. Seriously, they look great. But do you REALLY think that it cost the company THAT much to make your one pair of $600 jeans? Or your $400 windbreaker?


I'm asking you to look stanky because of the following reasons:
1. It will redefine our culture.
2. Being beautiful wouldn't have so much to do with what you look like in the mirror. 
3. The hundreds of dollars you save can go to better causes.

Number 3 has a lot more background to it than you think. Say you start buying a lot of cheap clothing. They're cheap for a reason. Either they're uncomfortable, they're used, or they're made through sweatshops. You know why people work in sweatshops? Because they don't have any money. If our whole culture shifted, and changed to buying inexpensive things, the amount of money saved would be enough to solve world hunger. Enough money in fact, that sweatshop workers wouldn't need to work in sweatshops anymore. Then, on top of that, the popular brands will start lowering their prices, while the cheap brands will increase theirs. This will create a market that has prices at a median average. When it hits that point, we will have the upper-hand on the market and we would be able to start vouching for things such as making the companies become even more environment friendly, and create even more awareness through these companies. How? Greed is what fuels our companies now. They will and have done everything they can to get as much money as they can no matter the expense. When we start vouching for companies to become more "green", their products will have a higher demand, therefore increasing their profit and creating competition for other companies to follow suit in their "greeness". 


The idea is far fetch'd. There's a lot in there that I know could go wrong, but a theory is a theory. I don't create these to argue with people, I create them so we can build off of them. Disagree with me if you want, but help me make the plan better before shutting it down. This is why I want to be famous. Sure, it's because I'm competitive. Sure, it's because I wouldn't mind the money or the fame. But those are all just sprinkles. I want to have the power to inspire a larger audience. There are two things in this world that can solve any problem. They are inspiration and love. Once somebody can be inspired, or loved to the point where they can love too to the point of selflessness, what problems could come up? 

One day, this campaign idea of mine will be more than just an idea. And as hesitant as I  am to post this idea on the internet because of my competitiveness, because I want to have that type of credit, I'm going to post it anyway. Life shouldn't be about "me" anymore. I shouldn't have to hesitate or think this way. If anyone can start this campaign now, go for it. I'm not asking for credit, I'm just asking for change.


I'd call the campaign "Proud to make Sense." 

No comments: